Monday, July 15, 2013

Loving Our Neighbors

A church blog isn't the place to get political.  But it is a place for us to do the work of reflecting on Scripture and our world together.  Although, to be honest, in a ven diagram, there is some level of overlap between theological reflection and "getting political."

Yesterday, I wrote this as my facebook status:
I can't shake the feeling that if, on February 26, 2012, everyone had just remembered "love your neighbor as yourself," then maybe the names Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman would mean nothing to us today. That's what I wish.
This morning I read A Humble Suggestion on How Not to Shoot Our Neighbors which resonated deeply with me having moved into a neighborhood where I am the racial minority.  Where I am confronting in myself, in my community and in the world at large a sense that we are not yet as we ought to be in relationship to one another.  I am wondering about the work of reconciliation that still needs to be done in our church building, in our community and in our world.  Considering our BBQ after church yesterday, our plans of partnering with another local church to host a block party later this summer, this seems like a pretty good place to start.

And then I saw this news and thought THIS looks more like the neighborhood and the neighbors that I am coming to know and to love than all that other nonsense and rhetoric and reporting going on.  THIS is what I want for us!


No comments:

Post a Comment