Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Praise: the postlude

It never fails that I think of what I should have said in the sermon right about 3:30 on a Sunday afternoon.

Last Sunday, we talked about Praise -- how it is something that can either become or can be perceived as simplistic or naive.  That sometimes, saying the truth about who God is comes from the overflow of our hearts and sometimes it comes forced through gritted teeth.

It kind of reminds me of this:

"I love you."

Man! There are so many ways of saying those words, aren't there?  
- Sometimes they come from the overflow of our hearts, bubbling up, maybe even saying it before the logic behind those words has even settled in our minds. 
- Sometimes we say it from the force of habit, when leaving the house or hanging up the phone.
- Sometimes we say it in order to learn how to mean it.
- Sometimes we want to shout it.  Sometimes we whisper it almost in desperation.  
- Sometimes we say it in pride or in amusement or in amazement.

Maybe the most simple way of understanding the act of praising God is that we are saying those words, "I love you."  Just as there are numerous ways of saying it and meaning it in human relationships, the same holds true when we are talking with God.

- "Spread Your protection over them, that those who love Your name may rejoice in You."
- "But I trust in Your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation."
- "Show me the wonders of Your great love,"
- "I love you, Lord, my strength."
- "For I have always been mindful of your unfailing love and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness."
- "Lord, I love the house where you live, the place where your glory dwells."
- "I will maintain my love to him forever, and my covenant with him will never fail."
- “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
- "I love the LORD, he heard my cry."
- "Save us and help us with your right hand, that those you love may be delivered."


No comments:

Post a Comment