Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Saturday Snippet

(whenever you see a post like this from me, particularly on a Friday or Saturday, you might assume that I am attempting to procrastinate in sermon writing.  And, 80% of the time, your assumption will be correct.)

As I was picking up groceries to make peanut noodles with sesame vegetables for tomorrow's potluck (yeah, I still feel the need to impress you all.  Next month, Stouffer's lasagna), the cashier ringing me up handed me my receipt with these words:

Have a peaceful holiday.

It stopped me in my tracks.  A peaceful holiday.  Now I know there are folks who get uppity about the whole holiday/Christmas thing.  I do not believe that there is a "War on Christmas," unless, of course you are referring to Herod's massacre of the innocents in Bethlehem after he learned of the Christ Child's birth.  Now THAT was a war of Christmas.  But I digress ...

So I celebrate Christmas but, I recognize that isn't the only holiday being celebrated.  And, especially in advance of Thanksgiving, there are many holidays to be celebrated in the coming six weeks.  What struck me was the the adjective: peaceful.

I admit that, by temperament and personality, I tend to feel accosted by Holiday Cheer.  I hear "Have a Merry Christmas" in the imperative voice: Do it.  Be Merry. NOW!  "Happy Holidays" as almost a slap in the face.  In my line of work, I am well aware that the holidays are a difficult time for many people, which is only compounded by the societal expectation that this will be "the most wonderful time of the year."  I am quick to hear in all this bustling and hubbub an almost sinister undertone: "Be Jolly, or else..."

So, when I heard "Have a peaceful holiday," what struck me was that I felt blessed by those words.  It was a holy moment.  Still and sacred, even with a line forming behind me and the conveyor belt still conveying turkeys and fixins at me.  I didn't hear an imperative.  I heard permission to let this season of the year be what it needs to be so long as it accords with peace in myself and with my neighbors.

Brothers and sisters in Christ, whether Thanksgiving includes the chaos of extended family, may you know PEACE.  Whether the table is less crowded and the offerings less plentiful, may you be surrounded by PEACE. If you are alone or missing someone special this year, you needn't strive for jolly or merry or happy.  Instead, I wish for you peace.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." -John 14:27

1 comment:

  1. She was probably wishing you a peaceful Diwali, not thanksgiving, given the timing.

    ReplyDelete