Sunday, November 18, 2012

Two Things:

Monday Morning Preacher-ing

Okay, what questions did the sermon raise that didn't get sufficiently answered?
Did you hear anything new?  Or something old in a new way?
Do you need more concrete examples/ideas?
What difference does this make as many of you look at going back to work tomorrow?
Any concerns over outright heresy?

Now's the time.  This blog is the place.  Let's keep the conversation going.

Practicing What I Preach

As soon as I post this, I plan to practice some Sabbath.
Of course, I am ALWAYS available by phone for emergencies.  And I'm honored to be able to respond in these situations.
But I also want you to know that I practice what I preach.
So after this blog post, I'm done for approximately the next 24 hours.
I trust the world will continue to spin on it's axis...

"Talk amongst yourselves.  I'll give you a topic - the Sabbath. Discuss."

2 comments:

  1. I made an explicit connection between the practice of Sabbath and the importance of Sunday family dinner for the first time. Particularly now I appreciate being able to spend a couple hours around the table with my family/friends, and that's something that happens best on Sundays. If Sabbath is a way to start the week, a time of renewal and delight, then it makes sense to me that family is an integral part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy,

    I think there is a strong link between Sabbath and food or, more precisely, Sabbath and the people with whom we share our food. It's why there can be a strong link between Lord's Supper and benevolence giving -- as we have been feed, so we participate in the feeding of others. Of course, it isn't incidental, either, that Christ himself bound us together as God's people around a table. It reminds us who we are in community, whereas so much of our life is structure to remind us who we are as INDIVIDUALS.
    All of that to say, nice catch. I think there is much more to be said on that topic alone.

    ReplyDelete