Friday, November 16, 2012

But How Does Sabbath Work?

I was thinking yesterday morning about common responses to conversation about Sabbath.  Mostly what I hear falls into two categories:

1) A concern for the legalism that historically adhered itself to Sabbath practice.  The stories I've heard of people confessing that their family was considered suspect because they were allowed to go swimming on the Sabbath.  But, they hasten to add, we weren't allowed to splash.  To this I say: "what the what?"

What was Sabbath/Sunday like in your family of origin?  
What was good? What was difficult or just plain bizarre?

2) The other response I get is a general agreement that the idea of resting, being refreshed, taking time to re-orient ourselves in a dizzying and confusing world sounds like a good idea.  But it is quickly followed up with something along the lines of: 
"But for my family, right now.  It's impossible."
"There is no way with the demands of my work right now."

I don't pretend that everyone's life is as dope as mine (yeah, that's right. I just said "dope." Deal.) And I can't speak to the life situation of those in the thick of child-rearing. Or high-power/high-stakes/high-pressure employment.  It's possible I just haven't been properly interculturated to DC living yet. Maybe 24 hours of extra sleep, easy hospitality, hikes in the woods and all the rest of it is unrealistic.

If this is the relationship you have toward Sabbath, I need to recommend an amazing book to you: Sabbath in the Suburbs: A Family's Experiment with Holy Time by MaryAnn McKibben Dana. (order it on Amazon. Right now. Reverend's orders.) She is a mom of three. A pastor. And living in a dual-career marriage.  Oh yeah, and she lives in the Metro DC area.  So she DOES know what it's like to be in the thick of child-rearing. To live the DC lifestyle and to juggle vocational aspirations.  Her book is joyful, thoughtful, playful & realistic.  (She'll even teach you how to "cheat" on your Sabbath practices with handy tips called "Sabbath Hacks" in each chapter.)

So maybe you can't do 24 hours every week.  
But what could you be doing to honor time as God's gift to you?   

* One family (this is from MaryAnn's book, I think) decided that once a week they were all going to walk the dog together.  That was their Sabbath hour.

* One couple (Linford & Karen Detweiler, if any of you know them) tell the story of how, at a crucial moment in their marriage, they would put a bottle of wine on the Table every night with two glasses.  And they would sit and talk until the bottle was empty.  This practice restored them to each other.

* Limits on technology?  I will not answer e-mail between 11pm & 9am.  I'm not that important.  And I'm a pastor so it'd be easy for me to make the case that I AM that important.  But I'm not.

* What about Sabbath and our relationship to food?  Love to cook but never have time? One night a week, buy the ingredients, chop, saute and delight in God's good creation.  Hate to cook but have to feed the kids everyday?  Sabbath can be as simple as ordering in pizza -- really good pizza. Not cardboard with rubbery cheese & funky red sauce.

How is your life regularly out of balance?  And how can God's gift of time bring that out-of-wackness back into the goodness of Christ's Kingdom?

What are Sabbath practices YOU have heard of/tried/might be willing to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment