Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Isaiah 40 ... the soundtrack continues

A voice of one calling, 'In the desert prepare the way of the LORD; makes straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain.'

This text lends itself to the soundtrack of roadtrip.  Having driven out West a couple of times, I know that stretch of highway through Montana's Big Sky Country.  There is something so liberating about those roads after busting through the traffic around Chicago and the strange beauty of South Dakota's Badlands.  The ubiquitous Wall Drug signs are behind you now.  So you point your car toward the Rockies and you drive.  There is no song that captures that feeling for me like this one.  I admit it is a strange choice for a soundtrack of Isaiah.  I'm hoping that by being outlandish, someone will bravely provide a counter-offer in the comments. (hint, hint.)



Then again, you can never go wrong with U2 ...


1 comment:

  1. Hey, so it's me again. I'm still thinking about my connection between that Mark Stuart song and this Scripture text. Isaiah 40 is typically associated with John the Baptist. And I kind-of figure, if he'd have lived in the 21st century, John would have driven a 1970 Monte Carlo Chevrolet. At least I like that image. Johnny B. in an old beater with Johnny Cash blasting, windows rolled down, driving West.
    (I write things like this on my blog because they capture my imagination AND because if I save them to use in the pulpit on Sunday, I'd be treading the verge or heresy.)

    ReplyDelete